Tuesday, 27 July 2010

The word 'literally' and the misuse thereof

During a phone call to my dad he piped up with, "You're literally throwing your money down the drain." I said I wasn't, but the old boy stuck to his guns and insisted that I'm physically feeding London's sewers with fist-fulls of loose change and the odd fiver.

Of couse the master of this art form is Jamie Redknapp. Proof:

• “Messi literally sends people out of the stadium with his skill.”

• “Centre forwards have the ability to make time stand still. And when Chopra got the ball, it literally did just that.”

• “This new ball is going quicker than ever - it literally explodes off the player’s foot.”

• “Craig Bellamy literally turns into a greyhound.”

• “He’s literally left Ben Haim for dead there.”

• “He had to cut back inside onto his left, because he literally hasn’t got a right foot.”


He says it so much I'm suprised he didn't slip it into the scandalously-cheated-out-of-a-Canne-Gold Thomas Cook ad.

If I ever see Jamie Redknapp in person I will literally rip his head off.

No comments:

Post a Comment